Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering those lost

Today marks the 8th anniversary of that awful day our nation was attacked. I remember sitting in my classroom and all of us middle school aged kids had a very somber attitude that day. We couldn't believe or understand that anything like that has happened on American soil. Our day and studies were halted that day, along with many lives of Americans as we watched in horror and fear the events that had taken place.

I didn't know anybody i any of the events. I did know some close calls. A few people I know were on the very plane a day and a week before the tragic event. Nothing like that to thank your lucky stars. This event sparked a new found patriotism in our nation. For once we were all united together and set aside our differences by this horrific incident. many men and women volunteered their time and strength to help out nation get through this travesty.

It's sad to see that that feeling of brotherhood with one another by the simple commonality of nationalism has faded away. Mine still stands strong today. The welling sense of pride I feel when I see our flag flying high and proud in the breeze, the tears in my eyes everytime I hear our anthem. A sense of pride, with some sadness, as I watch doocumentaries or sit in a History class and learn of the past tragedies and triumphs. This still stands strong with me on a daily basis.

Eight years later, this day is still fresh in my mind, along with many other Americans. I take the time to type this small reminder and tribute. This day is hard to forget, but I ask that people will remember it for different reasons. Think of how it united us, remember that and continue it today. Remember it for History. History must be learned, so it is not repeated. Although we cannot always prevent those events, but we can react better, which I think we did after Pearl harbor caught us by surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment